st: new, memory-conserving xtabond2

From   "David Roodman ([email protected])" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: new, memory-conserving xtabond2
Date   Fri, 9 Dec 2005 09:44:07 -0500

The main comment I got on the new, Mata-based version of xtabond2 (see
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2005-11/msg00717.html) is that it
uses a lot of memory.

So I have just put up a new version that can operate in a space-saving
mode. Its behavior is controlled by the Mata system parameter
"matafavor". For example, typing the below at the *Stata* (not Mata)
prompt:
	mata: mata set matafavor speed
	xtabond2 ....
will run a command in speed-optimized mode.

Whereas:
	mata: mata set matafavor space
	xtabond2 ....
should use much less memory, at a modest cost in speed. (The difference
is that in this mode, xtabond2 does not build the entire matrix of
"GMM-style" instruments, but only builds the rows for each individual as
needed.)

See "help mata_set" for information about mainpulating the matafavor
parameter. Type "ssc install xtabond2, replace" to get the new version.

All of this is relevant for Stata 9 only. Please let me know of any
problems.

--David Roodman
Center for Global Development