st: RE: Problem with GLM

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: RE: Problem with GLM
Date   Thu, 8 Dec 2005 14:08:06 EST

A Stata user just informed me that the glm  command has a problem.  I want to
advise you of how to avoid the problem  until it gets fixed.

The help file shows that one can use the  "exposure()" option with the glm
command. You cannot. There is no problem with  the "offset()" command. The
correct option is "lnoffset()" when you want to have  the glm program itself log
the offset variable. The following commands provide  the same table of estimates:

poisson yvar xvars, exposure(off)
glm  yvar xvars, lnoffset(off)

I have notified Stata so that the help file can  be changed to reflect the
correct option name.

Joe Hilbe