st: RE: RE: RE: referencing a specific cell

From   "Paley, Irina" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: referencing a specific cell
Date   Wed, 7 Dec 2005 14:28:32 -0500

Thank you so much!
Irina

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]]On Behalf Of n j cox
Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2005 11:20 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: RE: RE: referencing a specific cell

Stata's issue is with

replace pn_ocg[1] =

and what comes before or after is irrelevant.

What you want to do here is illegal. Subscripts
like [1] are not allowed on the LHS of a -generate-
command, as is tacit in the syntax diagram.
The ayntax may seem natural, but it is illegal
nevertheless.

But Stata is nevertheless trying to make sense of
what you wrote. It knows that square brackets [ ]
can signal weights, yet it also knows
that weights are not allowed in -generate-.

At that point it gives up and throws your ball back
at you with a shrug of puzzlement.

The principle to follow is that under the aegis of
-by:- the built-in _n is interpreted within groups
defined by the -by:-. Thus

bysort newt  : replace frog = toad[4] if _n == 3

copies toad[4] to frog[3] within the groups of newt.

 >>> Paley, Irina

Thank you so much, Kit and Nick! I really appreciate it, your
suggestions works.

Why can stata do: bysort hhid: replace pn_ocg= pn_pcg[2] if pn_ocg== .
but not: bysort hhid: replace pn_ocg[1] = pn_pcg[2] if pn_ocg== .
In the latter case it says weights are not allowed

What is it about saying replace pn_ocg[1] vs. replace pn_ocg that makes
the difference?

In general, if I want to move, within household id,
1 and 10 from second row 2nd and 3rd cell to first row 4th and 5th cell,
what do I do?

      | hhid   pn_pcg   relpcg   pn_ocg   relocg |
   1. | 1220        2       20        .        . |
   2. | 1220        1       10        .        . |

Thanks so much!

Irina