RE: st: RE: RE: RE: RE: uses of Bland-Altman plots

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: RE: RE: RE: uses of Bland-Altman plots
Date   Wed, 7 Dec 2005 11:48:03 -0000

I had no intention of deprecating the contribution
of Bland and Altman. I agree with the assessment here.
I just wanted to put that contribution in historical
and logical context.

I still think that Bland-Altman plot is a poor name,
especially for interdisciplinary communication.
That said, I am not a medical statistician, but
evidently it is very well understood in medical
statistics, so that there is no practical point in
questioning the terminology in that field, even if
I were an insider. It would not be polite in any
case.

Ron�n here refers to "their paper", but there are
several. Here are some:

Altman, D.G. and J.M. Bland. 1983. Measurement in medicine: the analysis
of method comparison studies. The Statistician 32: 307--317.

Bland, J.M. and D.G. Altman. 1986. Statistical methods for assessing
agreement between two methods of clinical measurement. The
Lancet i: 307--310.

1995a. Comparing two methods of clinical measurement: a personal
history. International Journal of Epidemiology 24: S7--S14.

1995b. Comparing methods of measurement: why plotting difference against
standard method is misleading. The Lancet 346: 1085--1087.

1999. Measuring agreement in method comparison studies. Statistical
Methods in Medical Research 8: 135--160.

Ron�n Conroy