Re: st: Optimization in Stata

From   Anders Alexandersson <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Optimization in Stata
Date   Mon, 5 Dec 2005 07:15:32 -0800

Here is some general advice (perhaps too general) for Jens.

A Stata web page (http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?whatsnew8to9) states, in part:
"ml has two new undocumented subcommands -- ml hold and ml unhold --
to assist in solving nested optimization problems, see ml_hold. See
[R] ml for more information on these features.  Anyone programming
estimators using ml should read the book Maximum Likelihood Estimation
with Stata".

Note that there is new 3rd edition of the book (see
http://www.stata-press.com/books/ml.html).

Stata can use C with plugins (see http://www.stata.com/plugins/)
or C could be translated into Stata using Stata's new matrix language
Mata (hopefully to be discussed in the column "Mata matters" in Stata Journal).

Anders Alexandersson
[email protected]