st: RE: non-parametric tests

From   "Roger Newson" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: non-parametric tests
Date   Mon, 5 Dec 2005 12:51:10 -0000

You might like to use the -somersd- package, downloadable from SSC using
the -ssc- command. The -somersd- package produces confidence intervals for
rank statistics, which are more informative than P-values alone. In the case
of the Wilcoxon test, you can either use the program -somersd- to calculate
confidence intervals for Somers' D, or you can use the program -cendif-
(part of the -somersd- package) to calculate confidence limits for
Hodges-Lehmann median differences or ratios. Both -somersd- and -cendif-
come with .pdf manuals, distributed as part of the -somersd- package.

I hope this helps.

Roger

--
Roger Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics

5th Floor, Capital House
42 Weston Street
London SE1 3QD
United Kingdom

Tel: 020 7848 6648 International +44 20 7848 6648
Fax: 020 7848 6620 International +44 20 7848 6620
  or 020 7848 6605 International +44 20 7848 6605
Email: [email protected]
Website: http://phs.kcl.ac.uk/rogernewson/

Opinions expressed are those of the author, not the institution.

Stefania wrote:
We ran an experiment with 24 subjects for each treatment. They had to
choose how to invest their initial endowment. They had the opportunity to
invest this sum both in a public good and in a private good. We ran
different treatments where the game was repeated for 8 periods. If I want
to compare the average contribution to the public good in two different
treatments, is the Mann-Whitney test suitable (we have different players
in each treatment)? Should the Jonckheere test provide a better
performance? Thank you. Stefania