st: Seasons from Dates

From   "Thomas Speidel" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Seasons from Dates
Date   Mon, 28 Nov 2005 10:19:48 -0700

Dear Statalisters:

I am attempting to create a "season" variable based on a date variable.
The solstice start dates are Dec-21, Mar-21, Jun-21 and Sep-22 for
Winter(1), Spring(2), Summer(3) and Autumn(4) respectively.  I have
tried to accomplish this using a rather long series of logical operators
such as:

gen month=month(date)
gen day=day(date)
gen season=1 if (month>=12 & day>=21) | (month>=1 & (month<=3 & day<20))

However, this code is not correct as it excludes all days>=20.
Rather than adding more logical operators to condition upon the dates, I
was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a cleaner, more elegant

Thomas Speidel
Statistical Associate
Clinical Trials Unit
Tom Baker Cancer Centre