st: RE: RE: generating a new variable with the egen command

From   "Maarten Buis" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: RE: generating a new variable with the egen command
Date   Mon, 28 Nov 2005 16:56:36 +0100

Furthermore, calculating the sums in float format isn't as bad as it initially seems: the fact that Stata shows only 3 digits of precision has to do with the display format. The float is precise up to 8 digits, and is stored that way, as can be seen in the program below.

drop _all
input x

egen sum = sum(x)
egen long sumlong = sum(x)