st: Re: RE: panel data analysis using xtregar

From   "Rodrigo Alfaro" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: RE: panel data analysis using xtregar
Date   Sun, 27 Nov 2005 11:17:29 -0500

Julius, first lagged dependent variable (LDV) with xtreg, fe and xtregar is not the same. xtregar works like Cochrane-Orcutt regression (meaning you have the first observation... read Autocorrelation section in any textbook to learn about it)... for that purpose you have to set what kind of rho will be in your regression (option rhotype)... the default is Durbin-Watson. Details of the formula appear in the manual reference. If the coefficient of your LDV is near to 1 maybe you have a Unit Root case (note that this coefficient is downward-biased if it is positive Nickell 1968). There is a huge (and maybe more than that) about LDV+FE versus Arellano-Bond (1991, GMM estimator), Anderson-Hsiao (1981, IV estimator)... it seems to me that the bias generated by LDV+FE it is not so bad in compare with weak instruments. Hahn-Kuersteiner (2000) propose an asymptotic correction for that parameter... all these is available in Arellano's book. Rodrigo.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Stillman" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2005 8:48 PM
Subject: st: RE: panel data analysis using xtregar

Julius. It is not exactly clear what your model is here, but, in general, panel data models with lagged dependent variables cannot be consistently estimated by directly entering the lagged variable as a RHS variable. It sounds like you should have a look at xtabond and the user-written xtabond2 for your model.

Cheers,
Steve