Re: st: check for double id-numbers

From   Neil Shephard <>
Subject   Re: st: check for double id-numbers
Date   Thu, 24 Nov 2005 11:48:52 +0000

On 11/24/05, Raoul C Reulen <> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a data file and I want to know whether there are id-numbers that are used twice in the dataset? How can I run a check on this? Thanks.

. findit duplicates

...would have lead you to the -duplicates- command.  See -man
duplicates- for more information.  Alternatively you may want to use
Nick Cox's -dups- command which is also listed and is downloadable
from ssc by typing -ssc install dups-

There is also a first principle method given in the FAQ's (which are a
valuable resource) at...

-findit- and -search- are very useful commands within Stata, check out
the help pages for them.