RE: st: right justifying strings, left padding strings with zeros

From   Clare L Maxwell <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: right justifying strings, left padding strings with zeros
Date   Wed, 23 Nov 2005 06:00:00 -0600

This is perfect! Thank you so much.

I wonder if either of you can recommend a book or manual that has lots and lots of examples. It doesn't seem as if I'm getting what I should out of staring at descriptions of the string functions, for example. Ian Watson's solution is conceptually similar to how I first approached it, but I didn't get far in mapping my ideas onto the list of functions. Based on my previous problem so adroitly handled by Nick Cox and others, I decided my usual ideas about how to approach things are too colored by the data manipulation language I am coming from, and that I need to clear the mental slate. That wasn't exactly true here, but still I wasn't able to carry out what I hoped to. I would be interested in feeding my brain "monkey see, monkey do" patterns, hoping they would take hold.

Special thanks to Nick and Ian for these further examples of subinstr.

Yours truly,
Clare Maxwell