RE: st: Generate a new variable [four firm concentration ratio]

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Generate a new variable [four firm concentration ratio]
Date   Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:27:29 -0000

I think you just need to change the
variable names and how many of the
first so many sorted variables you loop
over with -forval-.

I am currently extending -rowsort- to
treat missings temporarily as a user-
assigned value.

ALICE DOBSON

> Thanks a lot Nick.
> This program calculates fourfirm concetration ratio in case
> where there are
> at least four data points available. Additionally, in cases
> where there is
> only one, two or three data point it returns a value of 100% for
> "firstfour".  This is misleading because it gives a four firm
> concentration
> ratio as 100% whereas there are actually only one, two, or
> three firms. I
> would therefore like to have four different outcomes.
> How can I then obtain four different outcomes: "firstfour",
> "firstthree",
> "firsttwo", and "firstone" in case of rows with (a) four or
> more firms, (b)
> three firms, (c) two, and (d) one firm respectively.

Nick Cox

> >The line within the loop should be
> >
> >replace firstfour = firstfour + s`i' if s`i' >= 0

Nick Cox