FW: Re: st: Generate a new variable [four firm concentration ratio]

From   "ALICE DOBSON" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   FW: Re: st: Generate a new variable [four firm concentration ratio]
Date   Mon, 21 Nov 2005 18:41:41 -0500

Sorry for the lack of clarity in the preceding mail. Let me try to rephrase what I meant! In cases where the rows do not have the data on number of consumers for all seven firms the command [rowsort , gen (s1-s7) descend] arranges the values in such a way that missing values precede the other given values
Hence, as a result I do not obtain "firstfour"
Best,
Alice

From: "ALICE DOBSON" <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Generate a new variable [four firm concentration ratio]
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 18:27:49 -0500

Thanks Nick. It works selectively as I am not getting "firstfour" for all rows.
This is probably because the rows have values for one to seven firms and not for all seven firms
Further, I checked the data editor and see that in such cases where the data is avaiable for less than seven firms the command arranges the top four values s1-s4 (arbitrarily) in columns for say s3-s6
Hence, I do not get firstfour for all such cases
Best,
Alice