Re: st: xtivreg2

From   Daniel Simon <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: xtivreg2
Date   Wed, 16 Nov 2005 15:07:28 -0500

Mark - I think i'm ok with the number of instruments and the number of clusters. I get the following output:

Number of clusters N_clust = 497
Number of observations N = 2393
Number of regressors K = 239
Number of instruments L = 244
Number of excluded instruments L2 = 6

If you have any other thoughts, or if I'm misunderstanding something, please let me know. Thanks. Daniel

At 07:27 PM 11/16/2005 +0000, you wrote:

Daniel,

> Hi - when I run xtivreg2 and include fixed effects other than those
> captured with the fe option,  I get the following message:
> Error: covariance matrix of moment conditions not of full rank;
> overidentification statistic not reported, and standard errors and model
> tests should be interpreted with caution and may be meaningless
> Possible causes: singleton dummy variable (dummy with 1 one and N-1 zeros
> or visa-versa)
>
> the output then provides none of the overid/endog tests that I am
> interested in. Is there any way around this problem?
>
> Specifically, I run the following model, where i.groupyr are the fixed
> effects. When I do not include i.groupyr, the program runs fine.
>
> xi:xtivreg2 lncirc  currentsite (=pubonecurrentsites2 pubcurrentsites2
> pubcurrentsites2_sq pubonecurrentrivsites1 pubcurrentrivsites1
> pubcurrentrivsites1_sq) pgcurrentsites1 pgcirc1 i.groupyr , fe i(mag1)
> ffirst cluster(mag1) orthog (currentsite)

You need to investigate the relationships between the fixed effects, your
extra fixed effects, and the cluster variable.  For example, you have to
have more clusters than instruments for the cluster-robust vcv to be full
rank.  This could be the problem if the number of groupyr fixed effects is
big.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Mark

> Thanks for any help. Daniel
>

> Daniel Simon
> Assistant Professor
> Department of Applied Economics and Management
> Cornell University
> (607) 255-1626

Prof. Mark Schaffer
Director, CERT
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS
tel +44-131-451-3494 / fax +44-131-451-3294
email: [email protected]
web: http://www.sml.hw.ac.uk/ecomes

DISCLAIMER:

This e-mail message is subject to http://www.hw.ac.uk/disclaim.htm

Daniel Simon
Assistant Professor
Department of Applied Economics and Management
Cornell University
(607) 255-1626
*
* For searches and help try: