RE: st: differencing

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: differencing
Date   Mon, 14 Nov 2005 10:38:59 -0000

There are two issues here: what to calculate and
how to do it. Eric's example presumes two
estimates for each combination of state, county, year
and wanting to find the difference between them.
Evidently this could arise, but on the face of it
I would guess rather at

bysort state county (year) : gen diff = emp - emp[_n-1]

i.e. the difference between each year and the previous.

A more robust approach would be to -tsset-

egen countyid = group(state county), label
tsset countyid year
gen diff = D.emp

Eric G. Wruck