RE: st: Re: assistance writing a loop to create a panel dataset

From   "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: Re: assistance writing a loop to create a panel dataset
Date   Sun, 13 Nov 2005 17:01:57 -0500

However feeble you think your code may be (& I have certainly authored some
very primitive stuff & still do), it would
allow others to better assist you were you to share it.  With the data
clean up you have already performed, it certainly
sounds like you are able to do some things in Stata.  Nonetheless,  to get
data in long format, you'd want to check
out the reshape command.

Without knowing more, it's hard to see how & what looping your project
might actually require.  If you plan on
looping through variables on a given observation, then you might not want
things in long format.  Or you might
want to loop through the variables first & then reshape.  At least show us
what the end result should look like --
formulating that is often very helpful in getting yourself to the desired
solution.

I look forward to hearing more.

Eric G. Wruck