RE: st: math fonts/symbols

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: math fonts/symbols
Date   Sun, 13 Nov 2005 17:55:17 -0000

Richard is right -- there are disciplinary
differences here -- but two points deserve comment.

First, the Word-Windows vs TeX/LaTeX-Unix distinction
does not hold. TeX/LaTeX is perfectly compatible
with Windows. I believe also that clones of Word
are available under Unix for those so inclined.

Second, let's please get away from any kind of
elite vs non-elite thinking. The TeX/LaTeX argument is
encouraging: you get much better documents this way!
The learning curve for doing mathematical typesetting
under TeX/LaTeX may differ somewhat from that under Word,
but there are many advantages to the first route. Everything
I learned about TeX when I first started 16 years
ago still holds. In the mean time my colleagues have
experienced about four or five word processors or
equivalent.

Richard Williams