st: RE: Precision

From   "Maarten Buis" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Precision
Date   Fri, 11 Nov 2005 15:09:43 +0100

StatTransfer has the option to import variables as doubles instead of floats, which are accurate up to 16 digits.

Do you really need 16 digits? If all the variation occurs in the last digits than you can subtract a very large number like 348080.2688 and than multiply 1000 and you will get the same information with less trouble. Using variables with extremely different variances (e.g. a `normal' variable' with a variance around 1 or 2 and the 16 digit variable with a variance of 1*10^-15) is usually not a good idea in many statistical applications. Stata is usually very good at this, but my gut feeling tells me that 16 digits may be pushing it. If all the variation occurs in the first few digits, than any information in the 16th digit will usually be inconsequential.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam