Re: st: Re: Heckman Method

From   Robert Duval <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Re: Heckman Method
Date   Thu, 10 Nov 2005 17:00:17 -0500

Following up on the points rightly mentioned by Rafa,

The traditional exclusion restrictions in the literature  (the number
of children in the household, the presence of an active head  of the
household and the expected variance of household income) are
unconvincing if you consider for instance that all these factors
impact the hours decision specially for women, and if you beleive in
the possiblity of division of labor in the household between husbands
and wifes.

Unfortunately, other selectivity correction methods won't get you out
of this dilemma... actually as far as I remember the Heckman method is
the only one that allows you to have the same variables in both
equations, precisely because of the nonlinearities implied by the
Normality assumption. Any semiparametric correction method will
require exclusion restrictions. Finally, the identification based on
the nonlinearity of the IMR is very weak, as it has been shown that
for a good range of values of the XB index the IMR is virtually
linear, so if you don't have a good spread of values in the index,
your identification might fail.

Robert