st: RE: cut variables

From   "Munro, Cameron" <munro@rand.org>
To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: RE: cut variables
Date   Thu, 10 Nov 2005 07:30:36 -0800

See -help strfun- and specifically -substr-. In your case you'd use substr(varname,1,2) assuming the digits are always the first two characters.

Cameron.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
[mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu]On Behalf Of Patricia Vera
Rojas
Sent: 10 November 2005 15:24
To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
Subject: st: cut variables

Hi,

I have a string variable with different size:

01 XXX YYY ZZZ
02 XXXX YYY ZZZZZZ
.
.
.
.
.
30 X Z YYYYY

I want to get only the first two digits (01 to 30)
How can I do it?

Thanks,
Patricia

Renovamos el Correo Yahoo!
Nuevos servicios, más seguridad
http://correo.yahoo.es

may contain privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use,
of the original message.