RE: st: Creating weights

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Creating weights
Date   Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:52:42 -0000

This solves Ilaria's problem, but by restructuring
the data. With the assumed variables -zip- and -pop-
you can:

egen tag = tag(zip)
su pop if tag, meanonly
di "Total is " r(sum)
gen wgt = pop / r(sum)

The trick here is that -egen, tag()- selects
precisely one instance of each -zip-, as
the problem requires. It has that one narrow
rationale for existence.

There are also ways of doing this with -by:-,
but I doubt that any is easier to follow.

Svend Juul