st: summing up matrix elements

From   "R.E. De Hoyos" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: summing up matrix elements
Date   Tue, 8 Nov 2005 14:47:09 -0000

Is there a way to to get a scalar containing the sum of the off-diagonal elements of a pre-defined matrix?

For instance, define matrix C as a correlation matrix. I want to know what is the sum of correlations between the various elements in C. Therefore I need the sum of all elements in C minus the sum of the diagonal elements (-trace(C)-) and finally divide it by 2 (I am assuming matric C is symetric).

Many thanks,

R.E. De Hoyos
Faculty of Economics
University of Cambridge