st: -statsmat- revised on SSC

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: -statsmat- revised on SSC
Date   Mon, 7 Nov 2005 23:45:19 -0000

The -statsmat- program of Kit Baum and myself
has been revised on SSC. (This is independent
of the revision of -mvsumm- by the same authors,
also today.) Looking at the file indicates that
this has been around since 2001, with occasional
tweaks since. Stata 7 is required, but some
changes have been made that are sensitive to
whether you are using Stata 8 or 9.

1. The help was incorrect in stating that missing
values are not allowed in Stata matrices. This
is no longer true.

2. -statsmat- used a logic copied from -tabstat-
to insert a so-called (and very big) magic number
in matrices whenever missing would otherwise
have been appropriate. In, or under, Stata 8 up
this is no longer the default with -statsmat-.

3. In answering Herve Stolowy yesterday I found I
wanted to insert a column of missings in a matrix
to be used later. This is parallel to, but
evident different from, an idea of Kit Baum's
long implemented in -statsmat-, inserting a column of
0s. (Kit no doubt would have used missings had
that been possible under Stata 7.)

You may install as usual with -ssc-.