Re: st: Regressing with variables with missing values

From   Ramani Gunatilaka <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Regressing with variables with missing values
Date   Mon, 7 Nov 2005 09:38:11 +1100

Hi all,
I have been following up on all the useful comments I got and have
been working on that ice thing to replace missing values.
Unfortunately the programme goes through the motions but doesn't
replace any missing values. I am at my wit's end. The dependent
variable and the one that has missing values is happy (which takes the
values 1-5 depending on level of happiness (the data set as a whole
has 6805 observations), and my code runs like this.

use uphvar02, clear

. ice happy ln_pcy02 r_health male divorced widowed using uricevar02,
cmd(regress) eq(happy: ln_pcy02 r _health male divorced widowed)
genmiss(M1) id(flag1) replace

This is my output:

    Variable | Command     | Prediction equation
-------------+-------------+--------------------------------------------------
       happy | regress     | ln_pcy02 r_health male divorced widowed
    ln_pcy02 | regress     | [No missing data in estimation sample]
    r_health | regress     | [No missing data in estimation sample]
        male | regress     | [No missing data in estimation sample]
    divorced | regress     | [No missing data in estimation sample]
     widowed | regress     | [No missing data in estimation sample]

Imputing
[Only 1 variable to be imputed, therefore no cycling needed.]
1..file uricevar02.dta saved

. sort city province hhid

. compress

. save uricevar02, replace
file uricevar02.dta saved.
end of do-file

But when I check - here's what I get. Missing values still there.

. count if happy==.
   65

Does anybody have any ideas as to what might be going wrong?
Thanks so much,
Ramani