Re: st: RE: kruskal-wallis test [now -foreach, replace andappend]

From   "Herve STOLOWY" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: RE: kruskal-wallis test [now -foreach, replace andappend]
Date   Sun, 06 Nov 2005 19:30:39 +0100

Dear Nick:

I used your command lines and it works perfectly.

In order to get a tab-delimited file, and following your help on previous postings, I wrote the following command lines:

foreach var of varlist index2 prov_ass {
egen rank_`var' = rank(`var') if sodas3cl < .
bysort sodas3cl : egen ranksum_`var' = sum(rank_`var')
by sodas3cl : egen rankmean_`var' = mean(rank_`var')

tabstat rankmean_`var', by(sodas3cl) save
tabstatmat statdes3
mat2txt, matrix(statdes3) saving(statdes3) append

}

My problem is the following:

At the end of the loop, the first time, I should have -replace- and the subsequent times -append-. I don't know how can I make Stata understand this difference in a loop.

Best regards

Herv�

? Is there a possibility with matrices (-makematrix-, -mat2txt-, or another command)?

Best regards

Herv�

Professeur/Professor
Coordinateur du D�partement/Head of Department
HEC Paris
D�partement Comptabilit� Contr�le de gestion / Dept of Accounting and Management Control
1, rue de la Liberation
78351 - Jouy-en-Josas
France
Tel: +33 1 39 67 94 42 - Fax: +33 1 39 67 70 86
[email protected]
http://campus.hec.fr/profs/stolowy/perso/home.htm
>>> [email protected] 11/06/05 6:15 PM >>>
In addition to Kit's suggestions, note that
the sum of ranks and the mean rank are nothing
exotic, and so are also obtainable directly:

sysuse auto, clear
egen rank = rank(mpg) if rep78 < .
bysort rep78 : egen ranksum = sum(rank)
by rep78 : egen rankmean = mean(rank)

tabdisp rep78 if rep78 < . , c(ranksum rankmean)  format(%5.1f)

----------------------------------
Repair    |
Record    |
1978      |    ranksum    rankmean
----------+-----------------------
        1 |       72.5        36.3
        2 |      220.5        27.6
        3 |      905.0        30.2
        4 |      688.5        38.3
        5 |      528.5        48.0
----------------------------------

. kwallis mpg, by(rep78)

Test: Equality of populations (Kruskal-Wallis test)

  | rep78 | Obs | Rank Sum |
  |     1 |   2 |    72.50 |
  |     2 |   8 |   220.50 |
  |     3 |  30 |   905.00 |