st: Re: RE: how to obtain a unique identifier from strings

Subject   st: Re: RE: how to obtain a unique identifier from strings
Date   Fri, 04 Nov 2005 10:13:40 -0500

Actually, that code would give you the count for each name, not assign unique identifiers. There are many ways to get what you want, but egen id=group(name) is probably the easiest.

Michael Blasnik
[email protected]

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kallimanis, Bellinda" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, November 04, 2005 9:58 AM
Subject: st: RE: how to obtain a unique identifier from strings

bysort name: gen id = _N

This should do the trick

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Teresio
Poggio
Sent: Friday, November 04, 2005 9:47 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: how to obtain a unique identifier from strings

Dear statalisters,

this may be an elementary question but I could not find a solution in
Stata documentation and the list archives, so here I am...

I'm working (Stata 9/SE) with a quite large dataset (>300.000 records)
with observation on individuals. Each individual may be related to
more than one record. The structure is as following:

Teresio    0     1     0
Mario      1     2     0
Teresio    1     1    2

I'ld like to convert a string variable "Name" into a unique numerical
identifier and obtain something like this:

1            0     1     0
2            1     2     0
1            1     1    2

Is there any way to do this job in Stata?
I've tryed with the encode command, but Stata stopped because there
are more than 65000 unique values (by the way: I don't care about
labels ...).

Any help would be appreciated,

Teresio