st: checking if a dataset exists

From   Jason Thompson <>
To   statalist <>
Subject   st: checking if a dataset exists
Date   Thu, 03 Nov 2005 10:35:25 -0600

Could someone give me a pointer on how to conditionally execute Stata code based on the existence of a file or lack thereof? Is there an OS-independent way of doing this? I would like to do something like "if a dataset exists in a particular location, use it. otherwise build it and then use it."

* For searches and help try: