st: Temporary objects in Mata

From   "Jann Ben" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Temporary objects in Mata
Date   Tue, 1 Nov 2005 22:55:37 +0100

Hi, I have the following Mata problem: In an ado program
I use various Mata subroutines and it would be convenient
if earlier Mata functions could leave behind objects to be
picked up by later Mata functions. Here's an artificial
example:

. program define test
  1. mata: test1(x=., y=.)
  2. mata: test2(x, y)
  3. end
. mata:
: void test1(x, y)
> {
>   x = "one"
>   y = "two"
> }
: void test2(x, y) display(x + y)
: end
. test
onetwo

The problem is that after completion of -test-, "x" and "y"
are still in Mata's memory:

. mata: mata d
      # bytes   type                        name and extent
          120   void                        test1()
          104   void                        test2()
           11   string scalar               x
           11   string scalar               y

That is, "x" and "y" have to be removed manually at the
end of -test- (mata: mata drop x y). I don't like that and
I am looking for a way to drop "x" and "y" automatically.
I am aware that embedding test1() and test2() in a third
Mata function would solve the problem, but this is not
convenient in my case for other reasons. Furthermore, x and
y could be stored as Stata objects (e.g. Stata scalars) and
picked up from there. But that's not a good solution in my
case either.

My first guess was to use tempnames, but that doesn't work:

. program define test
  1. tempname x y
  2. mata: test1(`x'=., `y'=.)
  3. mata: test2(`x', `y')
  4. end
. mata:
: void test1(x, y)
> {
>   x = "one"
>   y = "two"
> }
: void test2(x, y) display(x + y)
: end
. test
onetwo

. mata: mata d

      # bytes   type                        name and extent
          120   void                        test1()
          104   void                        test2()
           11   string scalar               __000000
           11   string scalar               __000001

Does anyone have a suggestion how to handle this problem?

Any help will be appreciated,
ben