st: RE: RE: Y axis values for hist ,density

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Y axis values for hist ,density
Date   Thu, 27 Oct 2005 16:14:45 +0100

Allan's complaining about perceived perversity, but I am not clear what he
would regard as good behaviour.

I can see a good case for arguing that with -histogram, discrete-, and nothing
else said, the default should have been -frequency-, but yoking options like
that is rarely good software design. Anyway, that wasn't done, and a change
is now more difficult to justify.

As -frequency- is just an option away, this strikes me overall as a
very little deal. I rarely get graphs right first time in any case, and
others may have had similar experiences.

Jann Ben

> Bang! I don't agree. The purpose of a histogram is to make
> visible the shape of a density. It is therefore natural to
> report the y-axis in terms of a density.

Allan Reese (Cefas)