st: Generating Data Structure To Estimate Multinomial Logit via Programming

From   "Stata User" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Generating Data Structure To Estimate Multinomial Logit via Programming
Date   Thu, 27 Oct 2005 08:38:57 +0200

Dear Stata Users,
I have observations of 4 holiday passengers choosing between going on holiday
in 3 different countries: Germany, France and Spain. So country is the categorical
choice variable. This categorical choice variable has 2 attributes: temperature and
humidity. This is how the data structure looks like now (simplified example) :

Table 1:Data Structure Now

| Choice (country) | Temperature | Humidity | | | | |
| | | |
Passenger 1 | Germany | 24 | 45 |
Passenger 2 | France | 26 | 55 |
Passenger 3 | France | 26 | 55 |
Passenger 4 | Spain | 29 | 65 |

Now I want to replace the categorical choice variable 'country' with a dichotomous
choice variable. This means when a passenger chooses Germany and he does not
choose France and Germany, we observe three decisons of the passenger which
will be coded with '1' for Germany and '0' for France and Spain. So this below in
Table 2 is the data structure I desire. Since I have too much data, I have to find a
programming solution in order to transform Table 1 into Table 2.

Table 2: Desired Data Structure via Programming

| Dichotomous | Categorical choice | Temperature | Humidity |
| choice variable | variable | | |
| | | | |
Observation 1 | 1 | Germany | 24 | 45 |
Observation 2 | 0 | France | 26 | 55 |