st: correcting for cluster standard error in xtivreg

From   Yu-Chu Shen <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: correcting for cluster standard error in xtivreg
Date   Tue, 25 Oct 2005 10:21:39 -0700 (PDT)

Dear all,
I use STATA 9.0.  I would like to know if there is a way to generate
robust standard error due to clustering in XTIVREG.  I know
that XTIVREG will generate the correct standard error assuming that errors
are correlated within group.  But the error terms in my case are also not
independent across a broader  category (example, group is county but
standard errors are also correlated within state level).
Previously, I always used AREG instead of XTREG when I need to estimate a
fixed-effects model and the clustering is at a higher level.  But AREG
cannot handle IV estimation.  I used XTIVREG, which does not allow for
cluster option, so I am getting standard errors that are too small.

Thank you very much for the help.

Yu-Chu

Yu-Chu Shen
(831) 656-2951