st: ratings to rankings data

From   Steve Vaisey <>
Subject   st: ratings to rankings data
Date   Mon, 24 Oct 2005 09:11:42 -0400

I've spent some time searching for how to do this, but I haven't been able to find it. Hopefully, you all will be able to come up with something.

I have 10 "values" variables (val1 - val10) that respondents have rated in importance from 1 to 6. I would like to turn these values into rankings rather than ratings. That is, I'd like "1" to signify a respondent's highest rated value, "2" their next most important, etc. (Obviously with 10 variables and 6 levels of rating, there will be many ties.) FWIW, the ultimate objective here is to use these as dependent variables in a rank-ordered logit model.

Any help you could give me would be appreciated. Thanks!

Stephen B. Vaisey
National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellow
Caroline H. and Thomas S. Royster, Jr. Fellow
Department of Sociology
CB #3210, Hamilton Hall
Chapel Hill, NC 27599

* For searches and help try: