Re: st: regression methodology

From   "Vasilis.Sarafidis" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: regression methodology
Date   21 Oct 2005 16:41:44 +0100

I assume you are dealing with a panel where all regressors are strictly exogenous.

Including a dummy for a subgroup is not equivalent to running separate regressions for each subgroup. If you want to allow for subgroup-specific heterogeneity across all the parameters then you need to add multiplicative dummies for each regressor plus dummies for subgroup-specific constants.

Then the two methods will produce the same values for the parameters so there is no issue of sample size. However, pooling the whole data set will restrict the variance error to be the same across all subgroups, so if you don't want to do so an adjustment is necessary.

See a usefull discussion in

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/stat/awreg.html

Pooling the whole data set and adding multiplicative dummies will allow you to test in a straightforward way whether these dummies are statistically insignificant or not. So this approach is more efficient in the sense that you could allow a limited only set of regressors being subgroup-specific at the end.

Hope this helps

Vasilis