st: generating a variable for indirect ties

From   Derek Yves Darves-Bornoz <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: generating a variable for indirect ties
Date   Wed, 19 Oct 2005 16:27:13 -0700

Hi All,

I have a dataset of dyads. Each dyad is composed of two people (pids).
For each dyad, I have a measure of whether its two pids are directly
connected through a group (variable name "interlock"). I would now
like to construct another variable that measures whether the dyad has
an *indirect* tie of the first order through one of the other pids.
Here is what a sample of the data look like:
----------
clear
input dyadid pida pidb interlock indirect
1 1 2	1 0
2 1 3	0 1
3 1 4	0 0
4 2 3	1 0
5 2 4	0 1
6 3 4	1 0
end
-----------
list

Looking at the data, dyads 1, 4 and 6 contain pid's that are directly
tied to each other (i.e. interlock == 1). This creates two "indirect"
ties in the network (i.e. indirect ==1): pid's 1 and 3 have an
indirect tie through pid 2, and pid 2 and 4 have an indirect tie
through 3.  My actual data consist of about 118k dyads. This is my
question: does anyone see a way I can create the variable "indirect"
through some kind of a loop, etc? I have puzzled over this for quite a
while to no resolve. Thanks in advance! Derek

     | dyadid  pida  pidb   interlock   indirect
  1. |      1     1     2          1          0
  2. |      2     1     3          0          1
  3. |      3     1     4          0          0
  4. |      4     2     3          1          0
  5. |      5     2     4          0          1
  6. |      6     3     4          1          0