st: RE: Installing symbolstyles

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Installing symbolstyles
Date   Wed, 19 Oct 2005 17:44:29 +0100

I believe not, as the code for this would require very low
level programming and StataCorp have yet to publicise how
to extend the graphics in this respect -- and on my guess
are unlikely to do that in any foreseeable future.

You can

1 use printable characters within marker label variables

2 -separate- into classes and use e.g. different colours
or grayscales

3 experiment with overstriking existing symbols.

I think those are the only alternatives.

1 and 2 feature in a Stata Journal tip forthcoming in SJ 5(4).

The experiments I have seen on 3 were not encouraging,
but this revolves partly on matters of taste.

Eric G. Wruck