st: Re: Huge dataset

Subject   st: Re: Huge dataset
Date   Wed, 19 Oct 2005 08:40:46 -0400

I've used bigger datasets than that. As long as you have the RAM (or, more specifically, the OS will give you the ram), Stata can work with the file. Datasets larger than about 1.2G tend to become a problem if you work in any 32 bit variant of Windows.

Michael Blasnik
[email protected]

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mosca, Ilaria" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2005 4:10 AM
Subject: st: Huge dataset

Dear Statalisters,

I have to deal with a huge dataset, which is composed of 4 variables
only but about 16 million observations.
The file is now stored as a Microsoft Access 2000 file. The question is:
how can I import the file into Stata? Moreover, is Stata 9.0 able to
deal with such file? In the "Getting started with Stata" manual I read
that observations are limited only by computer memory, but still my
doubt persists.

Thank you,
Ilaria