RE: st: RE: Graphing ploynomial relationships after a regression

From   "Maarten Buis" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Graphing ploynomial relationships after a regression
Date   Wed, 19 Oct 2005 11:19:02 +0200

I find doing these graphs `by hand' particularly useful when polynomials are combined with interactionterms. This method closely conforms to the way I make sense about those models myself: write the model down, and work through various contrasts. Of course it means more typing, but I find that I make less mistakes that way because this link between the syntax and the way I think about these models. Ultimately, I think it is just what you are used to doing (and how you were taught to do this stuff, I had a tough master who deliberately decided not to use Stata because it made this stuff too easy...)

Alternatively, since Tinna intended to use this after a 2sls model, I could imagine a polynomial occurring in an indirect effect. This too would be a case where I would prefer to first write it out, and the results would closely conform to the syntax in the do-file.

It is true that making graphs with complex models requires careful though, but I find it is very difficult to really explain the results without them. Interactions and indirect effects with a polynomial in it, are cases in point.