Re: st: RE: stset and the NLSY97

From   Marcello Pagano <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: stset and the NLSY97
Date   Sun, 16 Oct 2005 21:46:55 -0400

I do not understand your dilemma.  Assuming everyone is telling the truth,
what you seem to have is time to first sex is your outcome of interest with
the very Victorian identification of "death" as that time.  If someone is 17
at the time of the survey without having had sex, then that is a censored
observation.  So your "time" variable is firstsex_yr if sa==1
and age if sa==0.   So you need to generate a variable

gen time = age
replace time = firstsex_yr if sa==1
stset time , failure(sa)

Your hazard should be zero for  time < = 10, but that
depends on your data. You actually do have information back then, assuming
you have done a decent job of sampling and things have not changed
that much over the years. (By that I mean that if everyone you question
is over 12, say, then their experience in the 0 to 12 time period is
still representative of what is going in those years today.)

Hope this helps,

m.p.