Re: st: xtpois still maximizing after 1200 iterations

Subject   Re: st: xtpois still maximizing after 1200 iterations
Date   Fri, 14 Oct 2005 09:07:09 -0500

At 08:53 AM 10/14/2005, Scott Cunningham wrote:
I'm regressing non-negative integer (# of recent partners in last
twelve months) onto a few covariates, but only when I include the
year dummies (i.year) does xtpois have trouble reaching a maximum.
It appears stuck - after 1200 iterations, it's still going, and it
seems not to be making any progress.

Can I tell Stata to quit after, say, 2000 iterations or something
like that?  Or should I interpret the failure to maximize with  more
caution and try something different?  Is there an algorhthm I could
use that will make it step to the max easier - like BHHH or something
like that?

Any help is much appreciated.
Type -help maximize- and pay particular attention to the -difficult- , -iterate- and -technique- options. My troubleshooting FAQ for -gologit2- discusses these options but I think much the same advice would apply to lots of routines. See

http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam/gologit2/tsfaq.html

See the section entitled "gologit2 is very slow and/or does not converge".

Incidentally, I'd be interested in other generic, all purpose advice for such problems.
*
* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/