Re: st: How to cope with string when transfrom from Epidata to Stata

Subject   Re: st: How to cope with string when transfrom from Epidata to Stata
Date   Thu, 13 Oct 2005 09:53:40 -0400

-destring- is for when you have a string that is all numeric characters and you want to convert to the numeric. You should use -encode- to convert text strings to numeric. If you have many of these Y/N type fields, it may be a good idea to define one value label and use that for all of them:

label define yesno 0"N" 1"Y"
encode v1, gen(vv1) label(yesno)

You may want to write a little ado file to automate this and copy over variable labels, move the new variable to the location of the old variable, drop the old variable and rename the new one.

program define yesno
syntax varlist
foreach v of local varlist {
tempvar newv