Re: st: Any easy way to append commands in the review window to current do file?

From   "Svend Juul" <SJ@SOCI.AU.DK>
To   <>
Subject   Re: st: Any easy way to append commands in the review window to current do file?
Date   Wed, 12 Oct 2005 12:05:26 +0200

Sean wrote:

I'm wondering whether there's a quick way to choose and append
commands executed and shown up in the review window to the current do
file? As you may have experienced, sometimes I type small commands
directly through command window instead of in the do file, whereas at
the same time I don't want to lose track of all these small steps.

Two methods; both work best if you have Stata 9 because it has multiple
Do-file editor windows.

1. Right-click in the Review window and select "Copy to Clipboard". Open
a Do-file editor window and paste by Ctrl-V. Now you may select what you
want and maybe copy it to another do-file editor window (Stata 9).

2. Create a command log (see -help log-). You can do it automatically at
session start by including in
    cmdlog using c:\cmdlog.txt , replace
Now, you may open the command log in a Do-file editor window. You may
even make the command log cumulative, also remembering commands from
past sessions, by:
    cmdlog using c:\cmdlog.txt , append

Stata 8 has only one do-file editor window, and that gives some
limitations. With Stata 8 I used another text editor (NoteTab Light,
available for free from for such exercises.

Hope this helps

Svend Juul
Vennelyst Boulevard 6
DK-8000  Aarhus C, Denmark