Re: st: Deciding whether to add a filename extension

From   [email protected] (Alan Riley)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Deciding whether to add a filename extension
Date   Tue, 11 Oct 2005 11:09:00 -0500

Roger Newson ([email protected]) asks
> A further query. Would I be justified in assuming that, under any operating
> system existing or forseeable, a -tempfile- name will always have an
> extension, so we can always -use-, -save-, -insheet-, -outsheet-, -infile-,
> -outfile-, -graph use-, -graph save- and -log- using tempfiles? (Just to be
> sure.)

Yes.  Stata temporary filenames obtained via -tempfile- will always
have an extension.  Under Windows, the extension will be ".tmp".
Under Unix and OS X, the extension will be "." followed by a series
of numbers.

Alan
([email protected])