st: RE: RE: re: Sample with weights

From   "Willard van Ooij" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: RE: re: Sample with weights
Date   Thu, 6 Oct 2005 15:13:50 +0200

Thank you very much, Stephen, for your suggestion. I must say I was a
bit surprised that nobody mentioned that they already had encountered
the same problem and found a solution for it. I did a -findit sample
weight-, but that gave not the desired result. Didn't think of doing a
-findit pps-.

-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Stephen P. Jenkins []
Verzonden: donderdag 6 oktober 2005 14:37
Onderwerp: st: RE: re: Sample with weights

>Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 11:48:40 +0200
>From: "Willard van Ooij" <>
>Subject: st: Sample with weights
>Dear statalisters,
>I have a population of company's. I want a sample from this population,

>but the probability of a company to be sampled has to be equivalent
>with the number of employees (let's call this "size").
>So I thought i could
>- -sample 10 [fweight=size]

I have written -samplepps- ("sample proportional to size"), available
from SSC with -ssc install samplepps-. It sounds as if this may do what
you seek

A -findit pps- would have found it (and a program by Stas Kolenikov.

Professor Stephen P. Jenkins <>
Institute for Social and Economic Research (ISER)
University of Essex, Colchester, CO4 3SQ, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1206 873374. Fax: +44 (0)1206 873151.