st: Re: RE: Heckman self selection bias - selection variable

From   "R.E. De Hoyos" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: RE: Heckman self selection bias - selection variable
Date   Thu, 6 Oct 2005 13:41:04 +0100

Lilach,

If I understood you right, you want to control for selectivity using a transformed (originally continuous) binary variable. I think the answer to your question will depend on the nature of your first and second stage dependent variables. The whole motivation of Heckman's procedure is the truncated nature of the objective function's dependent variable. You must make the case for a truncated dependent variable whose "observability" depends upon the "critical value" of a second continuous variable. One can argue that determining such a "critical value" in a continuous variable is highly subjective ---unless there is a natural way of determining it.

There are some examples. Consider wage equations for part-time and full-time employees. Although hours worked is a continuous variable, it has a "natural" critical value. If you plot the distribution of hours worked per week, very likely you will see two agglomeration points around 20 and 40 hours. Hence it seems reasonable to transformed this continuous variable into a binary one and then use it to control for selectivity a la Heckman.

Hope this helps,

Rafa
R.E. De Hoyos
Faculty of Economics