Re: Re: Re: st: RE: RE: Changes of the dataset

From   n j cox <>
Subject   Re: Re: Re: st: RE: RE: Changes of the dataset
Date   Wed, 05 Oct 2005 13:41:43 +0100

My original solution was overkill, although it worked.

gen long newid = _n
reshape wide price, i(newid) j(buyer) string
renpfix price
drop newid

is a simpler solution. The criterion is that the
variables in -i()- uniquely identify the observations.
Here this is true by construction.

My last comment on my previous posting still stands.

I.A.C. van de Snepscheut

You understood my problem very well the first time, your output was
exactly what I wanted to have. Only I made my example a litte bit
simpler with less variables. You must think of the same situation only
the variables are not only price colour age id and buyer, but also a
couple of other variables (in total something like 30 variables). I
put all my variables between the brackets after i (just like you did)
and than stata gave an error. The number of variabeles is too high.
Than I tried and the maximum number of variables appeared to be 10, so
that is a problem. Now my question was do you have a solution for this

n j cox