Re: st: Mean centering

From   Joseph Coveney <[email protected]>
To   Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Mean centering
Date   Wed, 05 Oct 2005 13:04:22 +0900

Sowmya Sriram Narayanan wrote:

I have a very elementry question on mean centering. I have a set of
ordinal variables (From 1 to 5). However my data is skewed to the right
i.e. i have a lot more of 3, 4 and 5, absolutely no 1's and also very
few 2's. Can these values be mean centered using the standard commands
to mean center continuous data. What are the likely problems with doing
this.

No reason jumps out as to why you couldn't mean-center the values using
standard commands for continuous data.  But you'll still have skew data
consisting of four ordered categories.

Likely problems depend upon what you're doing with them.

Why not handle them as the ordered categorical data that they are?  Stata
can accommodate analysis of ordered categorical responses.

Joseph Coveney