Re: st: How to get standard errors from tabulate

From   Ulrich Kohler <>
Subject   Re: st: How to get standard errors from tabulate
Date   Tue, 4 Oct 2005 13:32:34 +0200

Kristin J. Kleinjans wrote:
> this is a question from a beginner - I am making tables with crosstabs
> using 'tabulate', but would like to get the standard errors instead of the
> standard deviations. I am using Stata 8SE.

I suspect that you use -tabulate- with the -summarize- option, but there is no
solution within that framework for your problem.

However, -tabstat- allows the calculation of standard-errors of means for
groups defined by one dimension:

. sysuse auto
. tabulate for, sum(trunk)
. tabstat trunk, by(for) s(mean sd semean)

If you want more dimensions the situation will be different. I usually  apply
something in the line of

. collapse (mean) mtrunk=trunk (sd) sdtrunk=trunk (count) ntrunk=trunk, by(for
. gen setrunk = sdtrunk/sqrt(ntrunk)
. list for rep mtrunk setrunk

many regards

+49 (030) 25491-361