st: vectored data?

From   Steffen Hokland <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: vectored data?
Date   Mon, 3 Oct 2005 14:44:26 +0200

Dear Stata users and (self-confessed not-so-nice) Guru's

I've searched around the Stata resources for some time now but haven't been able to find a solution for my problem (which I hope isn't a FAQ, or perhaps even RTFM).

I'm doing statistics on an animal experiment that I've just finished. Tumor bearing mice were submitted to different treatments ordered into treatment groups. Respons to treatment was quantified by measuring tumor size daily, however not in weekends. Tumor (implanted subqutaneously in the foot) size was measured as length, breadth and height, and the volume calculated as length*hight*breadth*\pi/6. I haven't been able to find a satisfactory way to enter this data into a Stata dta file. I'd like to be able to enter a data point as a 3-d vector, but I don't know how, since this isn't a data type. My current solution is to enter each measurement as a text string: "ll,hh,bb" and then extract each parameter when needed. Is there a 'smarter' way?

Also, is it possible to define a 'class' or 'object' as a data type (couldn't find anything appropriate in the 'Programming' manual) called Mouse containing all this kind of information (mouse number, group number, treatment date, daily sizes, etc.)?

Thanks for any help,
Steffen

Steffen Lund Hokland, MSc.
PhD Student