[no subject]

Date   Thu, 29 Sep 2005 17:36:08 +0100

(1) splits a string variable into other string variables

and (optionally)

(2) applies -destring- on the fly.

But -destring- will only do anything useful to your string variables if they
are numeric in content, manifestly not the case with Terra's data. So
-ignore- will not do the job here, and, as Nick Winter pointed out,
you need to strip unwanted characters before you apply -split-.

Mark Smith

Terra Curtis <> wrote

Thanks, split seems to do the job.  However now I have some special cases to
deal with.  Say I have a company name like:
Medical Research, Inc.

I want to split this into
So that the "," and the "." are dropped.  I've tried combining -split- with
the -ignore- option, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything as the comma
and period remain in the split variables.  Anyone know how to take care of