Re: st: RE: Re: breaking strings

From   Nick Winter <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Re: breaking strings
Date   Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:36:47 -0400

 replace myvar = subinstr(myvar,",","")
 replace myvar = subinstr(myvar,".","")

Then use -split-.

--NIck Winter

At 11:16 AM 9/29/2005, you wrote:
Thanks, split seems to do the job.  However now I have some special cases to
deal with.  Say I have a company name like:
Medical Research, Inc.

I want to split this into
Medical
Research
Inc
So that the "," and the "." are dropped.  I've tried combining -split- with
the -ignore- option, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything as the comma
and period remain in the split variables.  Anyone know how to take care of
this?

Thanks,
Terra

Nicholas J. G. Winter 607.255.8819 t
Assistant Professor 607.255.4530 f
Department of Government [email protected] e
Cornell University falcon.arts.cornell.edu/nw53 w
308 White Hall
Ithaca, NY 14853-4601

*
* For searches and help try: