Re: st: RE: Re: breaking strings

From   Nick Winter <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: Re: breaking strings
Date   Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:36:47 -0400

 replace myvar = subinstr(myvar,",","")
 replace myvar = subinstr(myvar,".","")

Then use -split-.

--NIck Winter

At 11:16 AM 9/29/2005, you wrote:
Thanks, split seems to do the job.  However now I have some special cases to
deal with.  Say I have a company name like:
Medical Research, Inc.

I want to split this into
So that the "," and the "." are dropped.  I've tried combining -split- with
the -ignore- option, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything as the comma
and period remain in the split variables.  Anyone know how to take care of

Nicholas J. G. Winter 607.255.8819 t
Assistant Professor 607.255.4530 f
Department of Government e
Cornell University w